Sunday, August 7, 2016

A-A-R-D-V-A-R-K

Claiming that my morality is based on sensation, out of the two things we can do with the external world, wasn't entirely true. I realized this two weeks ago, the Sunday after I posted about that. I can't shut up in church. Which means that there's a lot of interaction that needs to be met too.

You're at church, and you're supposed to keep quiet when the speaker is speaking, but you're also supposed to sing- and hymn time comes without any real formality or shift. Just sudden rule change.

I posted both music videos to Miike Snow's Animal up, the post where I went into sensation and interaction. Planet of the Apes, that post. I always thought that the lyrics were, I'd sink ships. I guess that's why I'm bringing the post up in the first place. Those lyrics, misheard and then understood with epiphany, are some of the only ones that really stick with me. I guess because, misunderstanding, remembering the actual sounds of the words instead of the words themselves...

They say that lyrics stick in your head, that they're easy to remember. And they just come to you. Even use music as a mnemonic, right? Fit things to music, makes them easier to remember somehow. Spelling Aardvark, that drill. Lyrics are easy, right? But, maaan, that ain't never been true with me (and no this has nothing to do with singing in church or shutting up or anything, this is what I'd really meant to get to.) Well, hymns, I guess, I'm decent with. Anything that I've listened to a grazillion times. A lot of U2, I've got the words to, decently, but even then there's a lot of fudging sometimes.

Even, and especially, when the lyrics are easy to make out, that just makes it worse. Flowing directly, the meaning of the words, instead of their sound.

But mostly, no. Devon and McKenna singing along to the top 40s, again, how I couldn't do that.

Sing, the upcoming Illumination film. It's by Illumination, but it might actually be good? And they all know the words...

Man that all felt weird and disjointed. You know what, just forget I opened with the "interacting" in church stuff. I think the transition was fairly smooth, but...

No comments:

Post a Comment