Saturday, June 11, 2016

Stay Lovely (Contagion)

   I don't usually post in the mornings anymore, and never this early (the 12:00 am post time of Fandomonium II pt 2 actually from my being a few seconds late on the post-up trigger from 11:59 and then just deciding to backdate it a full 24 hours, only making it look like I'd posted a minute after Fandomonium II pt 1.) But just now, after posting up yesterday's post, there was just such a bizarre confluence that I knew what I need to post about.

   I had the choice between finishing the last few minutes of the film I'd been watching and then only having a few minutes to post, or pausing the film right before the end at an awkward spot but actually have time for some compositional craftsmanship. I chose the latter, stretching for a post topic and just following up on the post of the day before (though I did get enough time in there to take the photo that I knew I wanted to take for the post, which the extra time putting off the end of the movie afforded me.) After that, then I finished my film... and with that, everything from the previous day clicked into place. The post that actually needed to be written.

   See. It all comes at the end, and it all ties into a perfect way to explain myself. I just finished watching Matt Leacock's Pandemic: the Movie, also (less awesomely (but more officially)) known as Contagion, which... first of all, the end credits reveal that it, turns out was directed by Steven Sonderbergh. Just a few hours ago in drawing class I'd been wondering and trying to remember what the heck other movies that guy's directed besides Ocean's Eleven.

   Another thing I was also really wondering, during the movie, what the song they'd play at the end would be-- and really hoping, from Cliff Martinez's kind of groovy score, that it'd be Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" for some reason, always the exact last song you'd expect to play over the end credits in this kind of movie. That song being, also from drawing class, and also more specifically after it, when the it's complicated* three of us went up to an abandoned classroom in the art building to work on our perspective drawings together.

   Turns out, though, that very very nearly, the song played over the end credits is... the very song that could play over the end credits of any movie, or so at least Collin thinks. Seriously. Same song. Which I certainly wasn't expecting. The movie doesn't actually go so far as to have it over the credits, but All I Want is You is the last song we hear in the film, a little around a minute or less until we go to credits for real. The last song? Heck, it's one of the only songs.

   Another thing that makes Contagion fit in perfectly for the day: I'd also been trying to remember the word "triage" today, which the film helpfully provided for me.




*Okay, here we go... whew. The girl from class here, who'd sat next to me as well in Art 101 and who'd been at Fandomonium[!] 1 and a few other places, also the girl I got my foot in the door with from bringing in that Meter Maid Cart here and going to go see Zootopia together here, obviously whom I am very interested in**, and also a boy who also sits at our table whom we would have gone to see Zootopia with as well not so much as a date but as a group activity had he not gone elsewhere for the Memorial Day weekend, and so who is obviously also very much a part of the group, though whom I'd always "shipped" with another girl at the table though turns out they're not in a relationship which does leave him open as a potential romantic rival in our little group of three. The girl drives me ever-so-slightly wild, but she and the boy are pretty cute together and they harmonize wonderfully to all the mainstream pop songs (the lyrics to which I only vaguely know, if at all) on his playlist. So I'd hate to break that up if they do wind up a thing. Also he's not that bad of a looker, and even I've got a little eye-candy crush on him, so I wouldn't blame her at all if she does fall for him. The thing is I think he's got a thing for her, at least- "stay lovely," he says as she leaves to go get on other homework she's got. She really is, very lovely, but, wha--?

**It gets more complicated than that, but I'm not sure how healthy a form it is in, to have a footnote to a footnote.

No comments:

Post a Comment