Friday, April 22, 2016

Every Day a Sweeps Week

   One of these days, I'd like a day unmemorable.

   I'd been planning for years, no hyperbole, years, to have some sort of thing today about the deaths of Shakespeare and Cervantes, and, whose life will be commemorated the most here, and, who contributed to like world culture the most or whatever, but whatever, man. Cervantes died under the Gregorian calendar and Shakespeare died under the Julian calendar and everybody goes home very confused whether they did die within one day of each other or not. (It... it looks not?) But, alack, it looks like there's not room for such a discussion today.

   I really seriously had been planning on the post for today's slot, ever since this blog began. This is serious. business.

   I suppose I should begin with a discussion of what happened yesterday, to make that day so memorable. I've been getting in-depth with how crazy my days all were, all this week until yesterday, when (after such a long day, and with watching serigraphy tutorials on YouTube a priority over posting every detail of my day) I made the post kind of short, only reflecting one aspect of the day.

   Thursdays, in my Family History class, aren't a class but a meeting with your group of fellow classmates. At least this week. The 80 students in class are divided into 8 groups of 10 each, meeting up wherever, and reporting the meeting later to prove that they did show up to class. My group (group 8/8) meets in the classroom, as well as group 1/8. This week we had a lesson plan, due right at the 11:30 start of class, turned in through Dropbox, and with a few students of the group randomly selected during the meeting to give their lesson they'd planned. This is all important information to have.

   Typography class gets out around 10:45, which leaves about 45 minutes in between that and Family History. 45 minutes for me to finish off my lesson plan and turn it in. Thinking class began at 11:45, I thought I was turning in my lesson plan with plenty of time to spare when I turned it in at exactly 11:30... and so, when I think I notice a formatting error when uploading the file, I un-uploaded it, made sure that the error was corrected, and re-uploaded it. And clicked the turn-in button... only to receive a message saying that the Dropbox folder was now closed. I felt like the moose in Zootopia who got a parking ticket for being 30 seconds over. Only I was, what, 5 seconds over?

   Frustrating! I suppose I should hurry to class to catch the professor (my group does after all meet in the classroom) and explain what had happened to him.*

   The groups meet alone. The professor wasn't there. Class started at 11:30 of course instead of 11:45 like I'd thought. Though it was still only a few minutes after 11:30, my group had already left for somewhere else, instead of staying in and sharing the room with group 1. Group 1 told me how they'd just left. There was a group gathered outside of the room, who reported how my group had barely gone outside the building. Outside the building... I don't know which way my group had turned, whether to the left or right or what, only turning and going back in to ask the group, that group had just left as well. Five seconds late to everything again, I went back into the classroom, and just grouped with group 1 for this week.

   I could explain what had happened to have my paper be late to the professor, and send him the file, over email. And group 1 is the group that the elder that had been my mission is in (Elder Goff; we went to the Pioneer Day concert together.) So things, though complicated, resolve themselves.

   Which brings me to today.

   I had a meeting with the Academic Advisor's office scheduled for 9:30 this morning, doing just what I did at the beginning of last semester, again, checking to see how I'm going to have to course correct the academic course of my courses, of course, and I will tell you about that hereafter, because its true import only set in really after Drawing class.

   Meaning to go see Zootopia this weekend, the showing I could fit into my schedule was the 11:00 a.m.. There'd been a field trip, though, and something about having trouble loading the film?, so that showing had been cancelled... There was still an 11:00 Jungle Book showing though, which of course I've also been meaning to see (two words: Idris Elba one word playing two words Sher Khan) so I caught that. It made me cry at parts that aren't even that sad; I'd say that apparently I cry at all films lately but no, Batman v Superman produced no such lacrimal effect.

   King Louie is a gigantopithecus! Played by Christopher Walken! And... he sings? It's very disconcerting, in a film that's not even a musical. I mean, Baloo sings, and explains what songs are, and the Law of the Jungle is like a song, so songs are propaganda, and also kind of like an expression of the soul, and so Christopher Walken singing means that King Louie's soul is corrupt and greedy, all about wanting the power of fire even though he's already the omnipotent king of the primates? Such advanced complexly symbolic characterization would make a lot more sense if King Louie didn't die a few minutes after being introduced with that entire plot tangent thing going nowhere (except for his revelation that Akela had been killed by Sher Khan? But I'm not sure if that had anything to do with his characterization. So, the entire thing's pointless? Oh, wait, wait, Baloo gets to climb... That's ultimately relevant to characterization, right??)

   So yeah, Christopher Walken gigantopithecus King Louie, exactly as random as it sounds. (Actually, the more I think about it, the randomer and randomer this movie gets... I mean, just look at the opening Disney production logo, it's all, animated, for some reason.)

   From my mission, stockings for the young elders at Christmas, I've had two McDonald's gift cards, each with $5 on them (one of the elders didn't ever look into his stockings he received, and when he shipped out just gave his holiday goodies to me; hence, one gift card from my stocking, and one gift card given me from his.) I decided to use those today, spending the $10 cume on a Big Mac meal and two cheeseburgers. It's McDonald's Monopoly promotion time again, the poor suckers, and the Big Mac of mine whispered a secret into my ear on how to receive, for free, either a double cheeseburger or a buttermilk chicken sandwich, for free. So I cashed that in as well. Total amount of food received: about $15's worth. Total cost to me: $0.

   After that, Art 110 meeting. Art 110 is an online course, but with a classroom component? I guess that makes sense. The classroom component is split into three groups, represented by the columns of the tables you're assigned to sit at, depending on whom you've got for your online instructor; there's a pair of classroom instructors who co-teach, and they've got aides, and anyway. Art 110, columns, tables. There's a girl, who turned out to be in my Art 110 class... who turned out to be in my group... who turned out to sit at my table...

   Hem.

   Art 110 is the last class I've got in the week. After that it's free. I could (tangent to turn in a form I'd begun to fill out yesterday, tangent to help a guy chase down his papers blown away in the breeze, tangent to turn in a wallet to Lost and Found when it turned out that it wasn't something else he also dropped) go home back to the apartment, and get on looking into the things from the Advisor's meeting.

   And this is where the day gets interesting.**

   Okay, so, those religion classes I'm taking: unnecessary. Being a transfer student, not only do I have all my non-religion foundations already covered from my previous schooling, apparently also there's fewer religion courses required of you. There's the four core religion courses, and from there there's a certain number of credits required as well, right? Neither of my religion classes this semester are of the four core classes; both are of the additional credits classes. The religion classes I've already taken, however, have already covered my required number of credits, and all I need apparently are the core classes.

   There's still time to add/drop courses, but... my temple/temple texts course is face-meltingly amazing, and I've already had that experience in Family History class, plus there's the former Elder Goff in there. I'm not not dropping the course for his sake, of course, but it all comes down to whether I do need to drop the course to add a core class.

   If I had two more semesters in school, it wouldn't matter, and I could easily take two of the remaining three courses one semester, and the other the other. It comes down to, though, if I DO have two more semesters here...

   I want to bump my BA into a BFA, which would of course require more schooling than one semester. I could get the rest of my normal BA credits in in one semester after this, if I do drop one of my religion courses and add one of the core, and take two more courses next semester both core. Beyond that there's the courses I'd already planned on taking next semester. Only...

   BFAs require portfolios. My portfolio lacks typography (aka the single most important aspect of graphic design) as of yet, and is pretty bad regardless.

   I have a typography course this semester, but also want to take an advanced typography course, which has as a prerequisite a course that has this typography course as a prerequisite. It's going to take two semesters to get to that, a course that counts only for three credits in a category requiring a number of credits from any number of classes, advanced typography or whatever. The advanced typography is not needed, and could be substituted for another course, just for the sake of the BA. Maybe they'll allow me to take it next semester anyway if I explain the situation, but I don't know that.

   Speaking of that, I'm planning on taking a printmaking course next semester, am really interested in serigraphy, and feel like I could somehow have my graphic design portfolio be silkscreen-based, especially considering how it's been said my graphic design is strongly reminiscent of screenprints anyway. Only I don't have that printmaking course yet, of course, and that printmaking course probably covers intaglio and lithography and all that as well, with silkscreen printing being only one small slice of the emphasis.

   You can only submit a portfolio for BFA twice. With two semesters left, that means I'll have to submit this semester. And, like I said, my portfolio is not strong, and also weak.

   If I'm not accepted after this semester's submission, then I'll need to have taken the religion courses required, and have my classes next semester as though I'm going for a plain BA. If I am accepted after this semester's submission, though, then my plans for next semester don't matter anyway, because I'm now going for a BFA and have so many more courses from which to choose.

   My religion classes this semester are superfluous, so I could drop them and replace them with something else. But the problem with them is that they exist at all, taking up schoolwork time for them, when I don't need them. I enjoy them to boot.

   And I'm pretty sure that tomorrow's the last add/drop day?

   So I don't know.


*the "formatting error" turns out not to have even existed in the first place, and was just a function of the document preview feature of the upload window... what gets uploaded is the last saved version, but what gets previewed is the current state of the document, and I'd been using that document to hold text for my other religion class as well. The current version was the one with the Ancient Temples and Temple Texts work pasted on it, though that part of it hadn't been saved.

**  well, relatively speaking, anyway.

1 comment: