Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Cause of My Headache and Other Obsessive Behavior: GIFists, Grosses and the G-F Word

   I came down with something of a headache today, thinking about yesterday's date watching Zootopia. The date itself was wonderful; the headache-inducing part was this: today, when counting out the number of viewings before the one yesterday, I realized I had underestimated dramatically which viewing this had been for me. It wasn't "only" viewing number 17ish as I'd thought, but, going back through everything, it was viewing number... 20. It's just a few more than my initial estimate, so not that bad, but... it's still 20 viewings.

   !

   That's 10x more viewings than either Dawn of Justice or Civil War, so far; 5x more if you combined those of course; 20x more than, say, Jungle Book, also of course; and, getting to the previous record for obsessive compulsive viewings, it came out a full 4x more than the number of times I went to go see... actually, how many times did I go to see Force Awakens? Four or five? So that'd be 5x if it was 4 and 4x if it was 5. Can't quite recall... (And there have been a small handful more viewings since then on DVD, which don't count. Great little film...)

   That's no where the math gets freaky, though. (!!). At 108 minutes long (1:48,) 20 viewings of Zootopia equals out to 2,160 minutes' worth, which in other words is precisely 36 hours, which in other words is precisely 1.5 days. (!!!) 1.5 days solid, just of watching the film itself. Count in, transportation time, the majority of it walking, and, not to mention trailers before the film began on any given viewing... Yikes. So yes, I came down with the tiniest headache, just thinking about it.

   1.5 days solid is still less time spent than I spent watching all the seasons of 24, of course, but 24 consists of more than one episode repeated over and over again...

   Lest anyone think this behavior obsessive: well, yeah, kind of. Though exactly what I promised when I first saw the trailer almost a full year ago. Giving this film as much revenue as I can, giving incentive for companies to produce more films like this, and our economy is really paying off- just $8.5 million to go before Zootopia becomes the fourth animated film (and the 26th film of all time) to surpass the billion-dollar international box office mark! Already you've surpassed the Lion King; I'm so proud of you! (Though turns out it had actually surpassed the Lion King by the time I reported its encroachment a week ago; Box Office Mojo's figures were apparently faulty until a few days ago, as explained here.)

   I'm myself! Maybe to you I'm just some random crazy guy on the internet, for whom obsessive compulsive behavior is expected, but to me, I am myself.

   It probably doesn't even come close to the number of viewings other people have put into it, so far; I mean, this is the internet we're talking about here...

   One of the greatest things about the date, well not really but one of the great ways my date was great ("date" here meaning, lady partner in this exercise; it's only been one date so I would fain refrain from yet throwing around the "g-f" word) was, she also is used to being the last one in the theater, sticking around till the end reading the credits and maybe catching if Disney put in an extra post-credits scene. Which they didn't, here, of course, though there are those nice soothing jungle noises... Isn't she awesome, though, for that?

   Speaking of post-credits "stingers," though unrelated to, basically any of the above, I have today looked upon the face of glory: quite possibly the greatest GIF of all time (easily surpassing that other guy, the one with Oprah Winfrey releasing a swarm of bees on the audience... heh heh, "stingers.") New greatest GIF, though!

   From what I can tell, this is the story of how it came about. Inspired by this recent Bloody Disgusting article, regarding SECRET BONUS STINGERS at the end of the credits of horror films, Brad Miska of Bloody Disgusting had this to tweet:
   Which was apparently for some reason followed up (you know it would make a lot of sense if I'm groping the threads to a different convo entirely) by this from BD's expert GIF-ist Jonathan Barkan:
   I don't know what that means, but my work here is done.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't seen the Jeff G and Sam N as a video clip but just as a meme that said something like--you were so preoccupied with whether you could do it or not, you didn't stop to think if you should. Pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric, My vote would be for the religious / inspirational wallpaper. Dad

    ReplyDelete