Saturday, September 8, 2018

Answer to a Different Question

My mom asked kind of out of nowhere today why I don't seem to read as much as I used to; I used to read all the time. Digesting this, I did not answer at that time; I read a lot still, but not really books, books haven't been my go-to source for entertainment / edification for years. Which is weird, because it's a preferred method of reading, for me; I've got multiple tabs of research opened up on my laptop, dauntingly, which text I would breeze through were it printed out in a physical medium.

(Speaking of reading things online, I posted up a new post today on Pretzelize Me, Cap'n!, which you can read if you waaant, totally optional but there for you.)

I guess the answer is that I'm, out of all the things I love pursuing, building up more of a visual vocabulary, because my verbal vocabulary (I guess you just call that a literal vocabulary) is, trying to think of a really fancy way of saying "sufficient" but sufficient itself is, sufficiently, sufficient.

Alright, so maybe it's not perfect or anything, maybe I write a bunch anyway. (It should me noted that the question was queried to me as I was writing something down.) That's an option open for me, and sure I've got some verbal prowess, but that's not the only arena I enjoy and am good at, and so I'm gearing toward more visual arts over literary ones (there's always a literary element to anything anyway.) Not only do I have words engraving themselves and bursting out of my skull, I've also got blocking and editing and camera movements doing so.

Funny. The more I research film making, the more I realize how collaborative a medium it is.* There's an upside and a downside to this; others can fill in my gaps (and there are plenty of gaps to any vision of mine), but it's arbitrary for me to be the leader when my knack for leadership is merely above-average rather than exceptional**. Writing, while authors do have a similar massive framework of editors and publishing teams and market researchers and all behind them, is still much more a solitary pursuit, and an entire vision can be carried out executed entirely by one person.

Which sounds fine and dandy by me, but still... Blocking. Editing. Camera movements. Bursting. Out of. My skull. The original conception of "genius" was the spirit of inspiration that visited a person, and not the person him/herself, and yep that sounds about right.


*the more I study the scriptures the more I realize how important living prophets are. meanwhile. it's like, that's what they're always saying, is follow the prophet. the first chapters of mosiah are a great example of this.
** sure, now vocabulary is coming to me. "merely!" like, slow down there, you walking thesaurus, you.

No comments:

Post a Comment