Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Zucchini Story (Part IV)

   3/22/2014

   So, as I cliffhanger'd last time, we thought that we had enough zuke shreds to make plenties of breads. But that turned out not to be the case.

   It wasn't that it turned out that we didn't have a big bowl entirely full of shreds, that it wasn't all the way full somehow. Oh no it was not that at all. Neither was it that the recipe called for more zucchini than we'd initially thought, that packing the zuke down made what seemed like three cups at first a lot less than that. Nor was it some third thing that it wasn't. We definitely did have enough zucchini to make a boatload of batches. Did have...

   See, I'd completely forgotten the one thing that everyone knows about storing zucchini shreds, the thing that newborn infants know about it. Put the zucchini into tiny little baggies and freeze that stuff, right? 

   Nope, though, I just let that stuff sit there, on the top of the fridge, at room temp, for several days. And then, it was the night before a Data Quality snack day. So, deciding to make zucchini bread for that, having all the other ingredients mixed and everything, I went to to add the zuke. 

   And it was dry on top, soggy underneath, and moldy everywhere.

   No, I'm not getting you a photo of that. Have a horsey in a hat, instead:

Inline image 1

   Isn't that a more pleasant image?

   I debated (for hopefully less than 5 milliseconds) whether to just add the less moldy smelly stuff in the middle (where it was neither dry nor soggy) to the recipe, but, nope, instead I had to make an emergency move for the huge zucchini, with an hour and a half to get the whole thing shredded by myself with no help from the blender or anything. 

   I made it, barely, but had to wake up early the next morning to bake the thing.

   So from then on I learned my lesson:

Inline image 2 
   Freeze the zuke.

   Next (and final) entry: getting rid of the remainder.

No comments:

Post a Comment