Thursday, May 25, 2017

They Grabbed Him by the Drinking Fountain

See if you can make heads or tails of this Calvin and Hobbes strip I'm recreating from memory here (go on, give the old mental archives a whirl. There's probably hundreds of Calvin and Hobbes comics that you can remember without realizing it.)

CALVIN: a couple of kids got filthy rich this morning

HOBBES: really? How?

CALVIN: they grabbed him by the drinking fountain.

I'd always assumed that the kid was named Filthy for some reason and he got rich from suing them after they'd assaulted him. But I guess I've been giving it more thought- our they thought crossed my mind at least that maybe that wasn't the way it was intended. The manner of assault was bothering me- the punchline I remember very clearly. Grabbing him. So, what if his name is Filthy Rich and they "got" him by grabbing him at the drinking fountain? Got as in kidnapped or jumped or absconded with or possessed? Or maybe the two kids made money off of some song by some band, vis They Grabbed Him, by The Drinking Fountain. I just don't know. Anyone else got any theories? Maybe it's a pun based off of some regional accent I wouldn't understand; I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment