Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Those Names Were the People Who Worked on the Movie

I'd been going to post yesterday, because it was actually July then, but didn't really have anything to post about aside from a personal thing about a private citizen, tracking down a friend which isn't any of your business (do it every July 31st, and yesterday I actually got a hit!) but that isn't any of your business, once again, and I've got something to talk about for today at least, call it, July's post in August, or something.

Today was basically my last chance to catch on the big screen either Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny or Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part One, and, as much as I'd said I'd been going to have to rewatch Indiana Jones while it was still in theaters, I had to make it Mission, right? (Loooved Phoebe Waller Bridge's character in Indie, loved the whole 1935-abouts prologue, need to clarify my thoughts on a lot of other stuff there, and had fully intended to; but its last showing locally was today!, apparently to be replaced with the Wednesday-premiering Ninja Turtles movie. (Mission is being swapped out for Meg on Friday.))

Each of the Mission Impossible movies is my favorite, and I was kind of concerned last time I went to go see this one (this was my third viewing) because maybe I'd need to watch Part Two and judge Dead Reckoning as one whole, but after this showing, I'm gonna say it: this is my favorite Mission Impossible film. I should probably do a more thorough unpacking on my other blog, the one about like spy fiction and stuff, but frig man I've got such a backlog over there as I went through this whole process of realizing the harm of the antisemitism inherent in some of the tropes I was using, but I've figured out some workarounds that are pretty good, but anyway. None of any of that is what this is about.

Because after Mission ended and I sat through the credits, I swung by the screen next over right as the Indiana Jones credits started to roll, so I caught that bit at least, and two credit walls in a row. 


And I always watch the credits. My, girlfriend?, in college, who, really loves Ninja Turtles (I feel like that's appropriate and fitting to bring up) after I took her to Zootopia and as we were watching the credits thereof, said she always liked watching the credits, to see if there's an after-credit scene or anything. And that was like, some first time I felt truly disappointed in her, sort of deal, differing opinions on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse notwithstanding. It's more about recognition of hard work and talent and, really feeling connected to how big the world truly is to have such people in't. 

And processing lately, my feelings regarding Tom Cruise and everything, who by all accounts is a swell guy, in part because he realizes how small (yet crucial!) a part he is within the larger apparatus. Film bros at film school who make film their entire personality outputting movies that say nothing, while Tom Cruise is over here also loving movies and making movies his whole life and managing to be interesting as well though.

So many names! And, well bottom line is, who was it who said, find out who you are, and then be yourself deliberately? That. That's what I'm thinking about right now, after witnessing all those people.

1 comment: