Monday, July 30, 2018

How the Alternative Means Work

The desktop's black. The only file on it is the recycle bin, which appears empty. (If you actually attempt clicking on it you get an error message.) The windows key and buttons on the task bar don't work.

I'm not sure when the computer problems started or anything, but I know they'd been waiting for me to come back and see what I could do to fix it, or find a way around it. But, not sure how long they'd been waiting, like I said. Turning it off and on again didn't work.

Here's the workaround I discovered: ctrl+alt+del takes you to the security options screen. I opened up task manager, then from task manager go to file → run new task. There's a checkbox there that allows you to create the task with administrative privileges; you have to have that clicked or else it won't work. You can type the directory, if you know the exact filepath... or you can just click browse, and search for your program that way. 

I opened up Steam, and League. They opened, but wouldn't work, because the network was down... Here's where Alex came in: he turned it off and on again. Or rather, unplugged and replugged the network cable to the computer, a phone line that runs from our modem into the computer through a USB adapter (which we got for a completely unrelated purpose, though it didn't work for that, and that problem resolved itself.)

Alex could log into his League account and play (and win) a game. The last he played before today was January of 2016, which was before I even started playing.

I haven't played any League in months yet still, but I have logged into my Overwatch (we got Battlenet to start by opening up the Hearthstone installer in the task manager.) I feel like Rip Van Winkle, so much has changed since I last played it's surreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment