Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Universal Angle

   I've done even more thinking. What do we do? To return to Aurora now that we have Oak Creek. It would seem callous not to return at all. There is still much to be said about it, isn't there? It's hard to relate to the more recent tragedy than the last one, or even the one before that. Tuscon, Toronto, Aurora, Oak Creek. Oak Creek may or may not be just senseless domestic terrorism, which is an unfortunate part of our lives but hopefully widespread dissemination this incident will make people realize that Sikhism had nothing to do with Islam. Tucson is back in the news, with Loughner pleading guilty. I guess it's just natural to revisit these.

   Tucson, that affected us. Aurora affected us. Going to temple to worship is different from going to the cinema to see Batman, is different from going to a political rally to see your representatives is different from going to the Eaton Centre Mall food-court to get a drink. All these we can relate to: politics, worship, the arts. Food especially.

   The universal, then; maybe I was wrong to go for the personal angle. We don't need things that separate us; we need things that connect us. Mutual experiences and feelings that we had on it. What we thought when we heard the news, making sense out of the senseless. Some men just want to watch the world burn. I know that I thought it; I know that you thought it. That this would be the equivalent of Heath Ledger, terrible as it is.

   Here's the part where I wrap it up, but I have nothing else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment