Monday, April 29, 2013

Correspondence 11/2/09 21:07 - 21:29

   We discuss Comrade Helicopter's "sound," with Cailin having a more indie approach in mind and me hoping for a higher-production alt rock/arena rock feel, since I know Raphael is into layered sound and bit tracks? Okkervil River and Dr. Dog are both totally good, though, and you should check them out; I can kind of see what Cailin was getting at with some of the backing tracks but I think our vocals are a bit more clean. From this we discuss They Might Be Giants and swearing in songs. There are some heavy swears there, mostly from unreleased tracks, but there's some pretty heavy stuff.

Re: B-Sides!
From POMegranate to Persomem   Nov 2, 2009 9:07 pm
What would you best describe Comrade Helicopter as? I'd say U2 meets Barenaked Ladies.

Re: B-Sides!
From Persomem to POMegranate   Nov 2, 2009 9:09 pm
Hm, I'm thinking Okkervil River meets Dr. Dog.

Re: B-Sides!
From POMegranate to Persomem   Nov 2, 2009 9:11 pm
I s'pose.
I was going to add "But done by the dudes from They Might Be Giants" but yours works too.
(fun fact: I actually modeled Comrade Helicopter's wiki after They Might Be Giants'.)

Re: B-Sides!
From Persomem to POMegranate   Nov 2, 2009 9:12 pm
I suppose we both have different musical tastes to draw from, so it'd be hard to agree.

Re: B-Sides!
From POMegranate to Persomem   Nov 2, 2009 9:15 pm
(Seriously, even the "Bad English" and "Swearing" category pages.)

Re: B-Sides!
From Persomem to POMegranate   Nov 2, 2009 9:16 pm
(Well then they had a great system of organization.)

Re: B-Sides!
From POMegranate to Persomem   Nov 2, 2009 9:20 pm
(I don't know, I think it's just the sheer silliness of the categories. Do you remember those Dunkin' Donuts commercials? "Fritalian" was them.
And I think we could do that shht and ffk think they do sometimes to bleep out swearing when they're showing movies on TV sometimes. Not only is it awesome, and allowing us to get away with saying lots of crap, it helps us avoid those nasty Parental Warning stickers. But I think you can get away with some swearing. U2 has done it. And have you seen the "Swearing" category on This Might Be a Wiki? TMBG does some pretty weird stuff, man.)

Re: B-Sides!
From Persomem to POMegranate   Nov 2, 2009 9:23 pm
Yeah, those stickers can either destroy sales by not being carried in major stores, or do well because of the controversy.

Re: B-Sides!
From POMegranate to Persomem   Nov 2, 2009 9:25 pm
Yes. No, I mean it, check it out:
And this from a band that has at least two children's albums under their belt.

Re: B-Sides!
From Persomem to POMegranate   Nov 2, 2009 9:28 pm
Wow, a lot of that is pretty out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment