Sunday, June 30, 2013

Post THE FOUR HUNDRED NINETY-SIXTH, In Which I Use the Term "Sheeple" Ironically While Raging Against Irony (See, That's What Makes it Ironic)

   I've noticed I still haven't answered my question why. Why put up with the haters? The furries and the bronies and the Juggalos. Twihards? Yeah, I guess that too, but I don't think it's the in thing to do to mack on Twihards as much anymore, so disregard that.

   Still, we continue our love of these things in spite opposition. The stuff we like is just too awesome to ignore. Some say that we take on these hobbies and identities as a means to sap pity from other people because we're too poor to earn sympathy or respect any other way. Or there's the claims levied against those on the internet who claim autism, but in reality are just acting like jerks or doing some other socially unacceptable behaviors and getting away with it by hiding behind claims of persecution.

   While both of these are admittedly some evil genius ideas, I don't think that's it at all. To me, it's more earnest, more eager. These are the true fans, divorced from ideas of fanboyishness or even fanaticism.

   There's a bunch of counterculture hipsters who attend Burning Man, and-- I don't want to use the term irony, but this fits the very definition of irony, so here we go-- it's ironic. They're traveling there, but they're doing it in droves, man. They're like hippie sheeple. You can't be a slave to your own free spirit. I mean, you can, but you shouldn't, so you can't. Don't be a slave to your own free spirit, is what I'm getting at. Yeah. You can't be a slave to your own free spirit. That's just a waste of your own life, only made worse through the illusion that it's not.

   There's the jaded post-modern view on the world, where things can only be enjoyed ironically. Still, I don't think even the hipsteriest of all of the hipsters is going to enjoy Insane Clown Posse in anything but a sincere manner. Obviously, there could be a sincere joy of mocking it, but the enjoyment would be sincere nonetheless. Maybe I'm just raging at strawmen, who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment