Monday, June 3, 2019

Eureka!, Moar Piracy

Rejoice ! for the mystery has been (prolly) solved (I'm giving it a solid 97% accuracy.) Aiight remember way way back ago when I was searching for a mysterious Sea Dogs comic book about, like, dogs who be pirates? I'd read about it in Family Fun magazine but couldn't find any further information and was starting to doubt my sanity...

https://dielikeadisneyvillain.blogspot.com/2013/11/sea-dogs.html

Getting back into Cap'n Patches [!] again, I decided to dive into pirate cats and dogs again. There have been a few more such properties that have sprung up since then, but obviously I was still looking for something that came out well before 2013. Maybe I'll compile some of those again, like I did before, but still my quest continued. Search terms: sea dogs comic? salty dogs comic?

And I eventually figured it out somehow. So you see how the title of that post, you can see just by looking at the link that I'd been spelling sea dogs as two words? Apparently it was one word.

https://www.amazon.com/Seadogs-Ocean-Operetta-Lisa-Wheeler/dp/1416941037/

Seadogs: An Epic Ocean Operetta, written by Lisa Wheeler with art by Mark Siegel, was published by Atheneum books for young readers (an imprint of Simon & Schuster) in 2004. I'm not sure exactly which 2004 Family Fun magazine the book was featured in, but looking up 2004 Family Fun magazines for sale on the internet reveals that it's around the right time period, the graphic design and covers match what I remember from just about the right period of my childhood.

woo!

So Seadogs isn't really a comic- yes it is, I mean, but the conceit is there's this framing device that the whole thing is an operetta put on by (and for) dogs, and as such the story is told mostly silently with the text being the lyrics of the accompanying songs. It wasn't some epic, Akiko and the Planet Smoo-type deal like I was under the impression that it was, and so I can largely ignore it in terms of, dealing with what the dog-pirate genre already has to offer. Not that it's not wonderful and everything, and it's not like it's totally devoid of originality either: "the Terrier of the Sea!" oh how I wish I had thought of that!

But yeah as far as that goes that '97 (Captain) Claw computer game still has a lot of secrets to divulge... mercats, mmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment