Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Spider-Men

Into the Spider-Verse is unsurpassingly brilliant for a myriad of teeny details that have to be studied carefully and specifically in order to fully appreciate the depth and scope of their perfection. Rami's Spider-Man trilogy is astounding and fresh on a macro level, full of storytelling decisions that are simultaneously unexpected and breathtakingly satisfying, even coming on near one-two decades later. And for as much flack as the ASM films get, Marc Webb is one of the greatest directors not just currently working but possibly of all time in terms of the breadth and depth of his understanding of human psyche and human relationships. Venom is, well, Venom: love and beauty and life itself.

And so like I'm not entirely sure of myself when I say that Far From Home is possibly the greatest Spider-Man movie of all time? I can't really judge a film until I've seen it at least two times; there were a few weird elements which hardly seem real looking back, and I thought the first act was kinda funky the first time I watched it, but maybe it'll work itself out, knowing the end from the beginning. And a lot of the enjoyable bits seem themselves surreal, like it was so good it couldn't have been real. Comes with the territory I guess.

It's the first MCU film without a Stan Lee cameo; this and Dark Phoenix are the sort-of capstones for their respective franchises and I can't tell if that's fitting or not. The road goes on without him now, him and Ditko. But there is a sort of after-credits logo mini-tribute, not quite as extensive or thematic as Into the Spider-Verse's. But still there.

I guess in a lot of ways it's like the looming presence of Tony Stark. You can feel it in everything. Or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment