Sunday, January 15, 2023

Stupidly Belated Development in the Crashed Computer Saga

Alright so i"ve been waiting for the shipping label to come in the mail like I said but it's been a few weeks and I just figured the mail's been super slow-which it has been!- so I didn't worry too much about it until recently; next month's Brandon Sanderson box already arrived in the mail, but still no DriveSavers shipping label

So I go back and check my old e-mails to see what the deal with that could be, which is difficult as I still haven't logged onto anything on my desktop computer yet (aside from Patreon to download a couple of podcast episodes to listen to at work) and so use this laptop for all of that, which, need I remind you, is slowish and immobile as it needs to be plugged in because its battery won't charge. I'm writing a blog post today anyway so it's not too much of an extra step to, switch over to my e-mail tab from my blogger tag. Turns out. 

Turns out I've had the shipping label all year, they e-mailed it to me on the day I spoke to them! When Steve said he was mailing the label to me I just assumed snail mail, and didn't bother checking my inbox! Theoretically there's been enough time that I could have all my data back by now already! 

It's just so stupid.

So stupid it's brilliant?

Eh. No, no probably not.

(The reason I haven't logged into anything much yet on my desktop is because it spends a lot of time not even being turned on- heck, I still haven't done any Wordle or anything even. The reason it's shut off so much is because I was doing experiments with the guts of the machine- the internally SATA-connected drives weren't working, and I finally figured out that it has to do with the ports themselves and is not the drives' or cables' fault, as those function perfectly well on other machines. I poked around all the places with computer parts in town on Monday or Tuesday, and, though USB-to-SATA cords exist, and are relatively inexpensive, it would have to be one of those buy online type of deals.)

No comments:

Post a Comment