Monday, February 10, 2014

Pretension (is a good (?) thing!)

   Dear imaginary people in my head who say I'm just writing this stuff down in order to impress the heck out of other people:

   Of course. If you had something to say that would make yourself look worse than those around you, you wouldn't say it. Societal interactions are built almost entirely on one-up-man-ship, and it would be foolish of me to-- man, this is making me sound like a jerk, or worse.

   I'm here to share. Otherwise I would have written these only to myself. Or not written them at all. But writing something down gets it out of your head and clears up space for more stuff. It's one of those, we are all cyborgs, things. I am outsourcing my meat brain and using this writing as brain so I don't have to remember it. Cognitively, that's how that works. Cyborg.

   You have to stand by your work, though paradoxically part of that is owning up to your mistakes. No, not paradoxically. It makes the things you are proud of doing actually mean something.

No comments:

Post a Comment