Thursday, May 28, 2015

5% of the Day

   Though 80% of my waking productive life yesterday was spent watching television and 15% was spent goofing off online, for some reason that last 5% was super satisfying and the day felt like a total win. What's 5% of 24 hours? That's, 1,440 minutes a day, so, 5% of that should be, 72, minutes... and I'm sure the stuff I'm thinking about took less time than that, by maybe just a little bit, so, less than five percent. But that five percent, man. Breaking it down, in case you want to, timestalk me, or something... that's, stalking THROUGH TIME, somehow; if you ever need to assassinate me in the past, well, here's my schedule:

   Woke up around 6:30. Got bunted from bathroom to bathroom until I could finally take a shower.
7:30-12:00: Watch Burn Notice and Leverage; good shows, so I wouldn't call this time a waste. WINNING. Probably eat something in here as well; I don't know. That's half of the entire day so far, and about a third of my time awake. My time spent on the internet, from here to 3:30 is generally aimless but also not a bust-- finished up the last of the YouTube creative writing class playlist first mentioned here, for one. And here's the good stuff.

   Cailin has an old Alphasmart, or, did have an old Alphasmart (or, CamelCaps? so, AlphaSmart?); she didn't need it anymore since she got a newer model, so she put up an open invitation for me if I needed it. Alphasmarts is how she does all of her fiction writing-- straight-up word processor, no distractions, so it's pretty nice, she says. We'll see. She writes when she's not doing, other things, I guess, like, her real job. I've been collaborating lately with her a bit on Persistence of Memory 5.0 but she's also got one or two other writing projects going on for when she needs a break from that, kind of thing.

   Planning to spend a bit of time on a road trip coming up, I decided yesterday to take him up on that. Ran into town to pick that up from him right before his 3:00-4:00 lunch break ended; we didn't have much time to chat, but. First face-to-face in a quarter-decade.

   And then I got Grandma and Grandpa's check for graduating deposited. And got stuff back into my savings account, so that it's not empty for the first time in two years almost to the day (don't. ask.)

   And then back home, more internets (or, um, moar, internets, because, yes, I spent my time here on that side of the web (being the side that spells like that.)) After that, I suppose I did take that long walk, so perhaps my period of "solid win" does extend to 5% of my day or more.

   And then I made popcorn chicken and watched a bunch of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. Which was plenty better than I expected, with all the talk I hear about it about how it doesn't really have a direction of its own to head in and thus needs to be thrown into the wind to be tugged by the currents of whichever MCU film came out the most recently... It's even got a few moments that make you say, "holy crap this is a good show." Not as many as has, say, The Blacklist, where such a moment happens about every five minutes on average (with all the intrigue, not to mention James Spader, flyin' around,) but, Agents does have its share of moments. That being said, it can be kind of a mixed bag sometimes, but there's probably a website or some other tool out there that tells you whether any given episode is worth taking the time to watch or not...

   In case you're wondering: my three daily activities I listed a couple Tuesdays ago: television watching of course, but, also got in piano practice in between shows, and got in scripture study in the car running those errands. Solid. 80% of the day spent on those three daily things, 15% spent surfing the web, and those 72 minutes spent walking, banking and Alphasmarting, and that made that day even more solid.

   Put that way, with so much time goofing off, the day shouldn't have been that solid, right? But out of 24 hours, I've got it figured out, man. If just 5% of a day can make that day having been worth living, imagine what it would be like if you spent more than that amount of time spent pursuing a worthwhile goal...

No comments:

Post a Comment