Monday, March 11, 2013

Guess the Theme

   At last! Behind me lay all of the other deliveries. Clear before me was the last home that needed a package, and my favorite song began on the radio as I popped out of the van. "Dancing Queen," by ABBA, if you must know. Everything was going on pretty smoothly. Far too smoothly, in fact...

   Great big old clouds crept in front of the sun. Helios, that mighty god, began to shrink, to disappear. It got dark far too suddenly. Just dark enough for me not to see the shovel come out of nowhere and hit me in the head. KRAK!

   Lying there unconscious, I had some pretty strange dreams. Melon balls doing strange little dances through the air. Nexium pills and Vallium pills and all sorts of other drugs began doing feverish swan dives at me. Ouch! Pounding me and pounding me, wave after wave of pills shook my frame, until I began sinking out from the onslaught. Quicksand had saved me, but who was going to save me from drowning? Reaching for the surface, I sputtered and awoke. Someone had dumped me in a small cabin, I could see that much. There were piles of stuff cluttering everything up all around me, so I couldn't really see much. Under me and over me, just as nightmarish as my dream: piles of clothes, books, dishes, overturn board games...

   "Very good," said a voice from the next room. "We've got the mailman. X-Ray, Zero, could you come over here a sec? You just go in there." Zero and X-Ray...?

No comments:

Post a Comment