Sunday, June 29, 2014

Scourge w/ Commentary, Page 22


   This is one of the pages I drew earlier on. Well, maybe not entirely earlier on. I'll have to think about it. But this transformation sequence is where the D'Varri design comes from. In much the same way I got more audacious with the explosion on page 2, only more extreme, I was literally making up the design on the fly and pulling back and back and back from what a human looks like as the guy transforms. His nostrils become his mouths! Eventually I was as far back as I could get while still having it make sense with the path I started off on in the transformation, so you can see it slowing down there at the end once I was out of ideas.

   From this design I went back and added the shadow being cast across the veggie seller's cart all the way back on page one, forshadowing (so to speak) what was to come, and what the threat exactly was. You can also see it in the reveal shot of the Moldovian soldier's hologram. I think some of the more vague silhouettes in that before that were done before the alien design was finalized, because it didn't need to be at that point.

   During one of Joe's sarcastic readings of the page, he read the guy's hair falling out on into his hand as being his hand being on fire. Can you kind of see that? So I went in and made that more clear, by adding hair... sockets, I guess? and motion lines indicating where the hair was falling from. So, thanks, Stumps. If you look, you can also see the hair falling out of his hands there, which I also did not have originally and added, which effect I'm less pleased with but at least it's subtle.

No comments:

Post a Comment