Thursday, September 25, 2014

Style/Substance/Message/Messager

   In post, The Sweep of August 19 2012,  I made a comparative of all three of my 24 hour comics to date-- I there mentioned the skill gauged against the style. "Cleaner," was the word I used, reflecting the gauge of my usage of subsurface art techniques. Read that link. Alright.

   A lot of perceived "talent" is just decent execution upon a good style. How can you tell if it itself is good if it's decent execution upon a mediocre-to-terrible style? Here I seem to be using "style" in the way I previously have used "substance" in this series, and oh look here's a link to a post that talks all about that, the style versus substance thing I did a whole thing on. Now I'm using words to mean the opposite, which is maybe a bit confusing, but this is execution upon a style, or perhaps a method, of doing something, I mean to say. That makes more sense. Right?

   For example, a lot of criticism is levied against Christopher Paolini for his Eragon series, specifically the amount of cliches allegedly therein. But the writing itself- isn't all that bad. I've had a lot of time to think about this, so I'm glad I wasn't professionally published when I was fifteen. Link. As good as some of my ideas might have been (I don't think I'm still holding up any projects starting at that age or before, so maybe not- no, wait, there's still project "Artefact," but it's gone through so many reformations and maturations since then that a vast vast majority of the backstory and plot and everything is just- pardon me- an artifact) I realize now that I lacked the ability to execute upon any ideas.

   My daily blogging has inspired- well, no, I shouldn't get into that, but... I'm focused, anyway, and, daily, and, adjective, and...

   Let's just say I'm motivated, that's a good way of putting what I couldn't. Put out a post every day, motivated. Get things done. Some days are better than others, both quality- and productivity-wise. It's all a strengthening learning experience, though, even with the absolute crap that I display unapologetically to the world. Having that behind me, good, but in the public... It's nice to see evolution and all, but embarrassment caused by things you said when you were young and stupid, remaining there forever-- I don't know, man; it's tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment