Monday, September 15, 2014

"There is Nothing New in Art Except Talent."

   Why try to be original? Rhetorically. I've gotten deep enough into the internet by now to know that (something something) originality, so it's more important to be good than to be strictly original. This is why things like Twilight, Eragon, and Avatar are so popular, I guess. Decried for being clichéd. Execution is the important thing.

   There are a million excellent artists on the internet, and all of them are good, and the goodness of any artist doesn't displace that of another. They're all awesome, and they all deserve our attention, but we can't give them all our attention. So which ones, then? This is where originality comes in. Your skills can't set you apart, as much as I've hocked the values of professionalism in the past. That's only the half of it. The other half? Well, I've just told you, so...

   (Note that I refer specifically to the excellent artists on the internet, more narrowly the amateur ones.  Obviously professional artists have already proven themselves... professional.)

   Garr see what I mean? Chekhov already beat me to the punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment