Saturday, May 11, 2019

Detective Pikachu Review!

Detective Pikachu was a pretty slow movie. As visually stunning as a 45 minute long, uninterrupted one-take shot in the Library of Alexandria is, navigating through twists and turns as the young Pokemon and his clones searched for the final effects to complete the ritual to summon an ancient Babylonian thunder god to open the portal to regain the powers of Pika lost at the beginning of the film, I'm afraid some of its more subtle symbolism may have been lost on a young audience. In fact, I'm not entirely sure myself the significance of the scene where all humans are skeletonized when they hear the Name of the LOST DIVINE. And the scene where ASH KWTCHUM turns to the audience with eyes of a color never seen before on Earth, opening his mouth to a sound of rushing leaves and proclaiming the ancient gnostic secrets, may have been a bit scary for children. YOU WILL SLEEP AND NEVER AWAKEN. AGUAI AGUAI RETSUN NASHULATH CHLUBUTHUL. THEY WHO ARE HIDDEN SHALL FEAST UPON THE SUBSTANCE. CHARIZARD CHARIZARD CHARIZARD CHARIZARD. CHLUBUTHUL NAGIRAGI HEMTHORATH.

M E E L T T T I F I N I I N I N I VVVVV.

The Bulbasaurs were pretty cute though.

1 comment: