Saturday, March 3, 2012

My Observations on the Nature of My Observations (and where you should expect to see which things I observe)

   I don't post all of my thoughts here, you know. Not even all of my thoughts that are even worth writing down. Most of my observations I incorporate somehow into my fiction. It goes into different fictional universes depending on the taste of the observation: if cultural or technological, probably science fiction; if pop-cultural, probably urban fiction. Something has to happen there. The rest of what I dream up can either go into my social networking, if the observation is somewhat immediate, or my web logging, if it would need elaboration. Or, you know, if I'm stuck for a daily topic. Or I feel that I've talked too much recently. Blogger lets you write posts without posting them. Just, as drafts. So that allows me to write and space out what I say.

   I also write the odd essay, which is also in my bag of tricks if I need a daily topic, so I can just plop it onto the web if it's the eleventh hour and I haven't posted anything yet. Just... a pre-written essay, that I wrote to practice essay writing. The ability to write essays on the fly is a good skill to have. When you need to talk without going on tangents, it gives you organizational skills for your thoughts, so I've written essays, and I'll post them here if I feel that there's no way I'm ever going to need it (even then, it's no faux pas to use an essay you've blogged previously, is it?)

  Sometimes, I just write the idea down to remember it and incorporate it into something later, especially with the names of characters in my dreams. These names tend to be dreamlike, obviously, so they work best for fantasy or sci-fi, and the plots of the dreams in which these characters appear generally get incorporated into my fiction immediately, or else get mutated to become incorporated later.

 Other than that, like I said, I use my time for edification. Even my popular culture participation is an edification of my art- it's incredible what you can remix a plot into.

No comments:

Post a Comment