Monday, March 5, 2012

Post THE FIFTEENTH, In Which I Feel the Need to Justify Myself (by throwing in some plugs for some of my upcoming projects, shweet!)

    I've had to pick up a lot of slack from my second post, in which I guess it kind of sounded like my self-esteem is based entirely on other people's opinions of me. Let me, as many a politician before me has said, set the record straight. As I said a couple of days ago, not all of my observations go into this blog, and when I'm trying to tell you something about myself, the thing I'm trying to tell you might have already been said in something I wrote earlier. So permit me, if you will, to quote myself. I'm going to do it anyway even if you don't, because by the time you read this it will already have been written, so there's really nothing you can do to stop me, so you might as well not even try.  I'm quoting myself here out of necessity, since there's really no point in bothering with rephrasing a perfectly good phrase, though I realize that bringing attention to the things I said that I at least think are clever may be seen as needy and egocentric. I myself think it's more laziness than narcissism, as well as free advertising for the projects I'm doing.

    So anyway.

    In my song which I wrote, which is written by me, and performed by my band which I'm in, and of which I am a part, which band (the band being mine) performing my song (written by me), which song having the lyrics of my own, and also being my song, which song's name being titled, by me, as GUNSEL (Well, actually, we don't quite perform it yet, as it's not entirely written, as well as it being a sequel of sorts to another song, The Schwa, we have not yet performed because that song has also not yet been written, and besides our bassist is only a future bassist (presumably with the lasers and everything)), in which song, GUNSEL, I wrote:
"Please tell me that I'm not a quitter."
 (This being a reference to The Schwa, GUNSEL's prequel, making a reference to the French word quitter, meaning to leave (The Schwa is apparently a French song about leaving.)) It's not like the narrator of GUNSEL doesn't know whether or not he's a quitter, he just needs the verification that he's not.  The reason for this is revealed by another thing I've written.

   In Other//half, which is a webcomic I am currently developing, one of my characters says to the other,
"I'm only one person. Can't ever be anyone else. I can't even see myself straight on. Only reflections. Only ever reflections."
(And then, you know, since the story of the comic revolves around the science of duplicating yourself, the character's "other half" says, "hey! You can look at me," and it's really inspirational and uplifting and crap.) So, that's about not being able to see yourself from an outside perspective, but you can gauge yourself based off what other people say about you. This is, however, kind of tricky, since the more opinions on you there are, the more you enter the public sphere, the more you will be idolized- and vilified. We have to be different people, though, instead of the same person. Maybe I'll write a bit more on that later.

    See, needing other people is about being a professional. I only can control how good I am at what I do. Whether anyone else is better or not is independent of me. If you want to be pro, then you have to work to be better than everyone else at what you do- you certainly can't wait until everyone else gets worse.

...

So, anyway, yeah. That's what I do with my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment