Saturday, March 31, 2012

How I Will Improve My Skills as an Artist

     Yesterday I posted about wanting to improve my artistic skills. Alright. Since I know where I am, (pointy point A) and where I want to be (pointy point B), it's fairly easy to figure out how to get there.

   THINGS I'VE GOT TO IMPROVE

   I've never been a big fan of my own line work, but it might be just one of those inescapable things that come with your own style, like the sound of your own voice. As it is, though, I just think that my lines are kind of weak. Tablets work for me, though. Maybe I could digitize my pencil underwork and use the tablet instead of traditional pen work. Couldn't hurt.

   Another thing I need to learn is coloring. I was never much one for coloring books as a child, and they say that coloring is one of those things more for left-brained people, but coloring with light and shadow effects is really important for the illusion that the drawing is depicting a three-dimensional space.

   THINGS THAT ARE GOOD ENOUGH AS TO IMPROVE NATURALLY, HOPEFULLY

   Posing and proportions of figures, as well as perspective, including three-dimensionality of figures. I'm not quite the best at the underlying shapes that comprise figures yet, but I think I'm good enough not to have to worry about it.

   THINGS THAT ARE FINE AS IT IS

  Design and attitude. I guess that's something that can't be taught. I've got my style, and I suppose a keen eye for what works and what doesn't. What really matters, though, is a love for the craft. I'm not going to lie and say there's no end of that, but there's certainly not a shortage of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment