Monday, March 12, 2012

Post THE TWENTY-SECOND, In Which I Play Detective

   I tried my hand at detecting on my walk earlier today. There was a dead jackrabbit on one side of the road, female from complete speculation based off of the way the fur of its hind legs was wet in the back (I figured it had peed itself, but maybe it was just a hare who enjoyed wading through things using only its rear legs. I didn't smell urine, but then again I didn't smell much, meaning it was only recently deceased.) Using my superior intellect, I deduced that it had been hit by a car. Based off how the blood trail was along the side of the road, I could tell that they didn't go that far out of their way not to hit (her.) The blood trail came from the north, suggesting that the car (traveling on the correct side of the road) hit her there, and she rolled a meter or two, maybe even skidding. This would have embedded some gravel into her underside, but I didn't check.

   On the other side of the road, there was another crime scene. I think that there's some kind of serial litterer (like a serial killer, but dropping small bits of trash instead of bodies) roaming our roads. All the beer cans and bottles were right next to each other by the side of the road, suggesting that they had been dumped there from a stopped vehicle. Right next to that, more, older bottles, which suggested that it was some kind of regular drop off point. It was the right side of the road, which means that they were traveling north. The closest houses on this part of the road are to the north, so it must be some kind of regular dumping of the evidence before getting home.

   Continuing north, there was a white mailbox that was open, which was curious because it was open the day before that. The mailhuman would have closed the door to the mailbox had she delivered mail, which meant that either the owner of the mailbox deliberately leaves the mailbox open for whatever reason once the postage is received, or they had neglected to shut the mailbox and then went on a holiday, leaving behind them a notice to hold the postage for the days they had been gone. Based off of the detriment that had collected on the interior of the mailbox door, however, I could reasonably guess that it was the former rather than the latter. You see, there was a very clear indication that the inside of the mailbox door had been rained on, with deep rings left from evaporation of water. Since it has not rained in a while, and there were several rings from evaporation, there was a probable pattern of leaving the mailbox door open. Now, I'm not sure why they would want to do that. Maybe it's some sort of clear indication that the daily mail has already been received or something. I don't know.

   I'd have to say that I'm rather pleased with my own detective skills, since I'm the only one who could even say, which instantly makes my answer the correct one. It's nice to see things word out that way, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment