Saturday, February 2, 2013

Conception vs. Execution

   Tying it all together, here, I think. I mean, all of it. Skill versus talent and style versus substance. Why I do the things I do. Free will. Not wanting things to go to waste. Maybe. Let's start with that.

   It boils down to waste, even at its core, I think. Not wanting an idea to go to waste. That's why I want to share my ideas, and would find existence meaningless if cut off from the rest of the world unable to share. Hell is other people? Lucky human. He was never alone. (Schlock Mercenary FTW! I guess.)

   Don't waste the idea, don't waste its execution. That's why I do what I do. That's why I'm compelled in so many fields. That's why I'm interested in so many media. There's an ideal way to express a concept, be it through an audio or visual or written medium. It all comes back around. All of it's connected, I guess.

   It's in the conception of an idea, and the execution of it. The core idea. We try our hands at something, and execute it. We establish a practice. How do we caught up in this in the first place? We all say, pssh, that looks easy, so we get into it thinking that it would be, and find that it isn't as much as we thought it would be. By that time, we've learned enough to make continuing down this path worth it, but by now it's become a lifelong quest.

   We've all got ideas. But execution, to execute on those ideas, is harder than it looks. It depends on whom we watch, really. If our only experience with something is through watching the experts do it, we have no sense of scale, or even of awe at what's being accomplished. The experts are experts, and the experts make execution look easy, so it looks easy.

   Garr, I can't make that sound more profound. I mean, that all sounds natural. It sounds like duh. Because it is. It is duh.

   But good conception is made whole through execution. And that requires craft. And craft requires practice. Which is why they call it craft?

   I don't know; I'm able to know all of this, but I don't think I'm able to follow through on that one hundred percent of the time. Meaning, I am by no means saying this from position of expert. But I can see the evolution of skill, on the path that I've only started down, which I guess makes me qualified enough to realize the difficulties ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment