Saturday, March 2, 2019

Nightmarish In-Name-Only Treasure Island

Day 2 of never letting an opportunity pass me by: napping. A lot of napping. Also putting potato crisps into my tomato sandwich.

Continuing to track down films from my childhood for no real reason other than because I can (not letting any opportunities pass me by, yes.) I wrote down the details I could remember yesterday, after blogging for the day. 

I’ve got bizarrely specific memories of this- I could have sworn it was named Treasure Island, but it’s not listed among the list of adaptations. I think it was an anime, and an older one. Sort of like Tom Sawyer 2000, world of funny animals, but Treasure Island, but in name only. It’s not the legends of treasure island, but very similar. It’s not animal treasure island either; no human characters at all. Jim Hawkins is a cat, I think. He gets the map, but it doesn’t show where in the ocean the island even is, so Squire Trelawney says, “then we shall let the gods decide!” and throws a dart at a map of the world and they sail to that place and happen to get it right, the island happens to be right where the dart landed. At one point on the island they’re on a lake or river and there’s an “undertow” (not sure if that’s what they call it in the film or if it’s just my childhood understanding of the events) but it’s a living creature and Jim dives/gets pulled underwater by it, and gets to see the entire thing, which turns out to be some nightmarish anemone-like tentacle monster on the bottom of the lakebed. At the end of the movie, they never find the treasure and the island sinks into the sea and it’s incredibly depressing.


Turns out it was The Legends of Treasure Island, but only kind of- in 1997 someone stuck the first three episodes together with the last episode of the first season, for some reason, and released that as a complete movie! It's called, just, Treasure Island, of course, just as I remember it, and... not everything's exactly as I remember it, the dart thing is slightly less ridiculous in context (but still pretty nonsensical and doesn't even matter in the end anyway.)

I remember the "have your guts for mincemeat" line, the "as the crow flies to the crossed palms" thing with the dead man's spyglass, and the stuff I listed, but the whole deal with the myst that takes away your memory I don't, heh, remember; maybe it was cut out of the film version (though going off of run time, it looks like the four 22-minute episodes just straight up got smashed together sans editing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment