Sunday, April 1, 2012

Yes, the Band

   I guess the windy weather is making me just as pensive as Exuviae over there.

   In a long and twisting and somewhat arbitrary but ultimately fitting events, yesterday I found myself at Harmon School, a historical stone brick building built in 1915. There were a team of Boy Scouts there doing a restoration of sorts to (her?). I was wary of going outside the relative safety of the car, as the wind was blowing sand like crazy, which caused some eye irritation last time I worked in similar conditions.

  But I felt I had to get out.

   On the stage in the building there, there is a really old beat-up piano there that produces the most beautifully heartbreaking sound. It's in this old echoing wooden gallery, the acoustics of which magnify the effect. It is this specific sound that is the piano in Wrong of Me, from Comrade Helicopter's latest album Birds Cracking Foxy. Really complements the melancholy minimalism of the song.

   It was on this piano that I played with the weather raging around me outside. I played it...

   And then I got to go home. There's only so many haunting melodies you can play on a half-destroyed pianoforte.

No comments:

Post a Comment