Monday, August 20, 2012

Ideas and Execution

   Maybe it'd be better if I just picked a subject and stuck to it. I've got so many projects going on. Television, films, comics, literature, music. Nonprofessional at all of them (so far.) Oh, and fanart. Also reviewing television shows and tropes and fandoms? That doesn't create a very strong webidentity for me. Blogs about comics exclusively, blogs about writing exclusively. DeviantArt pages. Those are good. But this is just some dude's blog, and has no clear identity. So, I guess this blog is for my friends. But I suppose you can look back through it afterwards if I do get pro and see me go through the creative process as I tell you how I advance on these projects. That's always fascinating.

   I do go through with these projects I tell you about. There'd be no point in them if I did not. It's not enough merely to come up with a clever idea. Execution. It's the cliche of the kid who comes up to you and tells you that he has a terrific idea for a book and that he could sell it to you and you can write it. Or at least, that's a cliche in my universe. I'm sure it's like that for some of you, too. In fact, I think that's actually happened to me at least once.

   The point is, ideas are cheap. Without execution, an idea is nothing, or even worse than nothing since you can see the idea, but you feel how painful it is that it doesn't exist as an execution, and you don't have the rights to it, so you can't execute it yourself (or at least not for pay or in public or anything legally anyway) but maybe it's alright, because it, being a good idea, inspires you to have your own good ideas, which you can then execute yourself if you want? Um... Ooh, run on sentence. It kind of got away from me, but I like it. I'm keeping it because it illustrates exactly how cheap ideas are.

   I do followup when feasible. Obviously I lack the resources to send out little troopers to attend all the major nerdystyle conventions to do the Con Digest, but maybe someday. I also lack the technical resources to project sequential art over the internet in human form. I suppose I have no such excuse for Perfect Sense, but I'm kind of avoiding that because I've still got no idea how senses work there, and since that's basically the game mechanic I'm not ready to approach that anytime soon. But you can see how these things are on my mind.

   But man, now I really want to have enough resources to start the Con Digest up.

No comments:

Post a Comment