Monday, November 25, 2013

Writing Styles and Twist Endings (English 2/5)

   More stuff adapted from my College English assignments... This started out as an exercise about the "style" of how you write (college English class, of course they'd be all about "style") but soon turned its tangent on Ender's Game...:

   I guess you write in the style of what you read, the same way a songwriter might write in the style of what he listens to, which is why very few country boys grow up to be rap stars.

   So. Whenever I’m writing something science-fiction-y that is based off of real things, I write like Michael Crichton, combining facts with tense situations. That kind of thing.

   But I would say that my biggest author inspiration would be Orson Scott Card. Huge fan of his. I read Ender's Game at age, I don’t know, six, or something. The same age as the protagonist when he got his start; sounds right. It fit; it's not like children don't talk or think or act like they do in real life. Except not so much swearing. Although I suppose conditions in military barrack will do make you do that.

   ...I don’t think the twist near the end threw me off at all. I don’t think I knew it before I read the book, how it was going to end. I don’t think. My brother had already read it, and it was my mom’s old copy, really beaten up first paperback edition. So maybe they talked about it. I don’t think so. I think I just knew right from the start. Maybe something tipped me off, I don’t know, but I remember that the only thing that blew my mind is how Ender didn't know... I think I knew it all along, I think that I thought that the audience was supposed to know. But, listening to other people talk about  it, I doubt they were suppose to know. I don’t know, I guess I thought that the ‘twist ending’ was written on the back cover that it was that way all along. It just didn't take me by surprise. I guess I knew that, or maybe my literal brain took it that way.

   It also never occurred to me that how Snape's love for Harry's mother was supposed to come as a twist.

   ...Is this bragging? How could it be? The opposite reaction to this would be very much the same, you feeling sorry for me that really juicy twists don't come as a surprise. I ask neither for pity nor for adulation; I'm just... saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment