Monday, January 6, 2014

Con Names: Special "Furries and Bronies" Edition


   Seeing as how furries apparently have sort of a natural predilection for punning, (not to mention pontification,) plus a lot of really bizarrely specific cons, (I did a post on that once, didn't I? I seem to remember...) That's right, I've giving the furry and brony conventions their own, special category of con name. There are imaginably a few really really good ones, as well as ones that are quite frankly just plain awful.

THE GOOD


  1. BroNYCon: Because it's in NYC. That's just awesome.
  2. Brony Fan Fair: oh... oh! I get it! Like fanfare and... clever, clever.
  3. Fur-Eh!: It's Canadian
  4. Furthest North: so is this one!
  5. Everfree Northwest: The northwest version of Everfree gets bonus points for kind of sounding like "Everfree Forest."


THE BAD

  1. Rain Furrest: I'm not even going to touch that one.
  2. Furnal Equinox: Nor this one.
  3. EquestriaCon: Uninspired. Really, ones like these stand out in the seas of puns that these can be.
  4. Canterlot Gardens: Lovely, but this one is pretty boring, too. Hey, I'm just saying these are bad names for cons; these are nothing compared to:

THE UGLY

  1. Galacon: another Brony thing. Named after the Grand Galloping Gala? Or apples? I might have checked this once, and I think both. At least the other ones make sense.
  2. Furloween: I guess I can... kind of... see what you were trying to do?
  3. Howloween: okay, that one makes more sense.
  4. Fur the 'More: It's in Baltimore, hence, 'More, and its mascot is a raven, like the Poe kind, because Poe lived in Baltimore. The entire thing is so clever it's dumb.


   And I feel like I should give out some
SPECIAL MENTIONS
   where exactly how bizarre these can get gets lampshaded.

  1. ConFuzzled
  2. FURther CONfusion 
  3. What the Fur 
   EDIT [11/23/14]: About the Baltimore thing, Fur the 'More. As you can see, I put that name in the, ugly, category- for what it's worth, there had been a lot of deliberation on that point, but, "ugly," there I stuck it and there it stayed (I think really it's because I needed a rounder number than the three I had already up there in that category.) Fur the 'More, anyway. I've been thinking about that a bit, um, more. And I came to the sobering conclusion that holy smokes, an entire article could be written on the layers of meaning in there. Maybe I'll do that, I don't know. Just thinking on it: it looks like the word "furthermore," and, yep, yep, I understood all that- it basically is the word "furthermore." Okay. So, you think, alright, that's a pretty cute name on its own, yep, "fur," I see what they did there. And that's when you realize all those things I pointed out in its name up there already, which I do not feel the need to rehash here, but then... Maybe it took me a tad longer than it should have, I don't know, I made the connection, Poe's Raven's catchphrase (iffen, erm, you can call it that) is nevermore... Well. I think that the "so clever it's dumb" thing I said, crosses over into being "so clever it's scary;" just, give it its own special mention apart from the regular special mention section. Which I just did, in a sense. So there we have it; sorry about that.






No comments:

Post a Comment