Saturday, January 18, 2014

IEPs


   I've been flipping through my old medical records, which are actually mostly old school records, mostly IEPs (Individualized Education Plans) because of my ASPARAGUS IN THE ROOM, which I suppose does count as medical? But I got a good view of myself, as a student. What I must have been like, this mind impenetrable to all but myself. And even I don't have a clue what I was thinking during some of the psychological tests they administered. Those only show the what, not the why. So I guess now would be a good time to try to explain the why.

   It's... frightening. A lot of it is. My past self. My file. The plans made for me, the mechanisms designed to give me a normal schooling experience.

   Special Education wasn't a regular class of mine since, uh, at least after 2004. For 2004, my IEP says the student will spend 90% of his or her school day in the regular educational environment. So, by then I was-- 2005, 86%? What the hay? It dropped! The amount of time in the regular educational environment dropped! What was that- was that from sixth the seventh grade? Oh, okay. I was transitioning into Junior High. But still, I spent most of my school day in a normal classroom

   Gifted and Talented Education doesn't count, nor does the speech therapy I underwent, I don't think. But my teachers had special in-class programs (here in the computer program sense of the word) in place to cool me down in case I got out of hand. But I didn't realize that. That went through a lot of iterations of these programs, trying out different tacks, which I guess is what made it invisible to me. It was there, and it was invisible, because it changed. I must have improved my behavior due to these, but I didn't realize it. I'm not sure if I even realized my behavior was abnormal. Maybe inappropriate, but what I did wasn't (considered by me to be) tantrums. Just a perfectly normal reaction.

   I must have realized and worked to correct some of this behavior- for example, the case file on the speech therapy says I was actively working to correct my own problems in mispronunciation, and was dismissed from their services on May 6, 2005. I didn't realize I had a speech problem before that therapy, but I was given an examination seven and a half years prior, on November 11, 1998, which stated I was eligible. I had apparently been in speech therapy all along since then. I didn't know I was in speech therapy, though, until the fifth grade, and I wouldn't even have known I was in it that long beforehand if I didn't see the date on the report. I thought I had both started and ended it in fifth grade. Nope, K-7. It's like these invisible strings were pulling me and I had no idea all along. Which is another scary thing.

   By the end, when I did know I was supposed to be in speech therapy, I was apparently actively trying to correct my pronunciation (maybe because I knew that I had a problem.) So they dropped it. Once again, without my realization. I didn't even know they had dropped it, until just now when I reviewed the old file, and realized what it said and meant. I didn't know. That they had dropped it, that I was improving. But ever since they dropped my speech therapy without my knowledge, I've always been self-conscious of my own speech patterns, thinking I had never improved.

   That's another scary thing, how I could have been so oblivious to the things that were told me (or at least should have been told me.) You want me to make a list? Very well. I shall do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment