Thursday, October 2, 2014

Correspondence 1/19/12 20:33 - 21:01

   We wrap up this run with a discussion of needing to get published in order to become worthy of being published by Vertigo. We swap our story ideas, and Cailin makes references to some awesome ideas we've corresponded over that I've elected not to share with you out of respect to the ideas. We go on to discuss why storytelling is in a broader sense even necessary. I may be extrapolating a bit when I say that, but pay careful attention to my talk of bearing a "legacy."

Re: Story Idea
From POMegranate to Persomem   Jan 19, 2012 8:33 pm
Oh, yeah, we actually need to, like, write some short stories to get our names out there first, don't we?

Re: Story Idea
From Persomem to POMegranate   Jan 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Probably a good idea, yeah.

Re: Story Idea
From POMegranate to Persomem   Jan 19, 2012 8:40 pm
I've got... St. John the Divine and the Angel, mostly planned out; Air Liner Number Four, written but missing a climax; some personal stories written just for the sake of getting something written, some of which with science fiction elements thrown in for the sake of science fiction, some of which with metafictional realization and psychoanalysis of why I'd throw in sci-fi elements for the sake of sci-fi; and a bunch of plotlines for The Artefact and Artificial Winter.

Re: Story Idea
From Persomem to POMegranate   Jan 19, 2012 8:44 pm
Most of my ideas are much more loosely organized, and more or less in my head. I've still got my "temporally unique" artifact time machine idea kind of plotted out.

Re: Story Idea
From POMegranate to Persomem   Jan 19, 2012 8:45 pm
That seems more expansive, though. You should write stuff down. That way, you'd already have a legacy.

Re: Story Idea
From Persomem to POMegranate   Jan 19, 2012 8:48 pm
Legacy's a strong word. I also have a coming of age tale with very slight sci-fi/fantasy elements, kind of like a modern American Wuxia story.

Re: Story Idea
From POMegranate to Persomem   Jan 19, 2012 8:50 pm
Well, if you die, then all the people will at least know you had ideas.
I've got those, too, but, like I said, the only reason I even add the slight sci-fi/fantasy elements is to make my coming-of-age story be not hipster.

Re: Story Idea
From Persomem to POMegranate   Jan 19, 2012 8:53 pm
Yeah, I see what you mean on both accounts. I'll give it a try, then. I always tend to think that I'll remember, but I rarely do.

Re: Story Idea
From POMegranate to Persomem   Jan 19, 2012 8:53 pm
Sweet.

Re: Story Idea
From Persomem to POMegranate   Jan 19, 2012 8:59 pm
Indeed.
...Well, we done here for the evening?

Re: Story Idea
From POMegranate to Persomem   Jan 19, 2012 9:00 pm
Yeah, you pretty much don't even need to respond to this post. But it was a good run.

Re: Story Idea
From Persomem to POMegranate   Jan 19, 2012 9:01 pm
Well I will out of courtesy. Great brainstorming just then.

No comments:

Post a Comment