Friday, March 6, 2015

20 Years

   The earliest memory of mine which I can place a date on is November 20, 1994-- the day of my third birthday. I remember being very confused-- obviously I didn't know what a  birthday really was, which makes sense considering my last one had been a literal half-lifetime ago... I was still excited, though; I remember waking up and tottering around. Perhaps I could sense something in the air; after all, awesome plastic fireman hats don't just fall out of the sky at any minor occasion...

   Didn't give that much thought until yesterday. With that being my third birthday then and my age being 23 now, I've got two decades' worth of memory now swimming around in my nut. Frightening.

   Saw today on Netflix that they've got Jumanji, in a not entirely parenthetical tangent. Fantastic bit of cinema, that-- all so famously made and taking place in 1995 -- "What year is it?!", a half-crazed Alan Parrish (Robin Williams) sputters out. The answer is 1995. "'95...," Parrish marvels...

   Two stinking decades ago.

   That was the greatest movie as a kid-- still is now, of course, but this-- this was the must-see film, yeah? Remember how the AVON lady had a VHS copy, when it was finally released on video... had to beg Mom to purchase it off of her; we'd been so excited...

   But that was all twenty years ago now; it hadn't even occurred to me till I saw that there on Netflix this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment