Monday, March 2, 2015

The Fine Line Between the Mainstream


   There's a built-in escape mechanism to the "hipster" subculture which I find absolutely charming. All this freaking indie crap sounds exactly the same, so there's obsolescence built in. It's great: "oh no, the mainstream's found the thing we like, making it cool! Fall back to any one of our seemingly identical indie bands!"

   That being said, I still think it's impossible for this to be the case every occasion-- gonna namedrop like I don't even care-- Fleet Foxes, Neutral Milk Hotel, those guys are all adorable enough not to care if the mainstream breaks in around you; identity is maintained (who names their band after Switzerland that's just weird enough always to be "edgy") you don't even have to bring up whether or not you discovered them when everyone else did. ...I don't think.

   But you don't know the extent of it from the inside. That make sense? No, of course not, that's a terrible way to phrase it. Let me give an example for you instead, then. I worked on Collapse, as an intern, right? Shoestring enough that it's not like anyone got paid, though; the official trailer had to be released through the director's son's YouTube channel instead of his own, seeing as how his own has maybe three or four subscribers and his son's has several thousands (which has more than doubled in the time between then and now.) The director's son, you see, (also playing the main character in the film (again, shoestring) so the move makes some sense) is apparently a fairly prominent YouTube reviewer of K-Pop music videos.

   And here's the, "extent from the inside," thing. Through that Twilght2Mnlght/Lukes of Hazard YouTube channel,  I may have known of Psy's Gagnam Style before it became such a huge hit in the states a few years back. It was interesting, but so were all the other K-Pop music videos and there wasn't much to distinguish any one thing-- references to it started cropping up in more and more places, and, I don't know. I don't know when it became a hit, and that's my entire point. From the inside, you don't know the extent of it. I had known of it, but I wasn't aware it was such a phenomenon because... because I had already known of it. When does the indiestream break off and the mainstream begin? The answers, they don't come easily...

No comments:

Post a Comment