Monday, March 23, 2015

Partials, U2, and Mormon Decency

   This is like my fourth time urinating today; why is there so much of it? And why is it coming out so clear? I remember drinking only a single cup of water today, but there must have been more in there...

   Anyway!

   Just finished Dan Wells's Partials, book 1 of the Partials Sequence. It's postapocalyptic YA scifi-- and it actually is all those things; it isn't until you stumble across something like this that you realize that those other post apocalyptic scifis for the YA crowd aren't really all that postapocalyptic, and only technically scifi. And stumble across this one, I did. Let me explain.

   Looking up *Ruins* to find OSC's Pathfinder 2, top results showed that it's also the name of Partials 3. Partials? What is this? Ooh, book trailers. And it's by Dan Wells? The Dan Wells? So I purchased a copy to download.

   And I'm not here to give you a review.

   Alright, maybe a little.

   Great if you like: 
  • Strong female protagonists who are also minorities
  • Institutionalised teen pregnancy
  • (and thus) Real political conversations regarding fake politics
  • Genetic engineering as the next nuke   
   Anyway. I had known of the books before, actually, turns out. There's this little post he did regarding U2 of all things, which I was of course all over and have been itching to have an excuse to share (it captures the roller coaster experience of attending a live U2 concert perfectly! Or so I'd imagine.)

   Oh, and it talks about Partials. Which totally confused me why he'd be talking about that, up until this point when I've actually read it.

   http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net/?p=1509#comments

   I'd recommend following that link if you're a fan of Dan Wells and/or U2, and wonder how they feel about each other.

   Even if not that, click on the link only to be sure to read the comments; BC Woods's seemingly unrelated one is easily one of my favorite things of all time (hey, the whole post is that as well.) In it, he talks about the attitude he used to have against Mormons, how he used to view us as polite robots with no understanding of human suffering, and how Dan Wells changed that: "you clearly understood what real darkness was and you were just a polite and decent person ANYWAY."

   Seriously, click that link.

No comments:

Post a Comment