Wednesday, April 25, 2012

How Best to Eat a Hot Dog

   I had a very good day today, thank you very much. I ate a sandwich, and went to the movies, and got a good grade on my test. So. Anyway, I had this thought, while eating my sandwich, at the movies. I know what you're thinking, and no. My grade was not with me.

   So, I was eating my sandwich, and I noticed how the flat bread was all chewy while the spinach was all crunchy. Such textures ran wildly against each other. Some bites I regretted ordering mustard on it, others not so much. It took me around fifteen minutes to eat the first half, cursing my instinct to swallow after only a few chews. Then, I realized the reason why I hog everything down, not just "why" but the underlying reason of that. I realized this:

   There's more than one way to savor something. In fact, I would like to say that I dislike savoring, insofar as it means to chew slowly, sucking as much of the flavor as you can out of your food. I'd rather have an explosion of taste in my mouth. That's still enjoying your food, in a sense. It is better to relish than to savor. To savor reflects a bittersweetness, while relishing, not necessarily so. If you savor every morsel, you eat it slowly, remembering that there is only so much cake to be eaten. If you scarf it down with gusto, however, you are getting your kicks out of it unhampered by the idea that it will be gone in a few minutes. At the end, when you are finished with it, then maybe you'll be a little saddened that it's over, but that's better, I think, than to know it will be over the whole time you are eating. You're going to finish it eventually anyway, so why prolong the inevitable?

   I guess it says something about how I experience the passage of time, how I notice it. Once, this blog post was only a vague plan in my head when I realized my realization would make a perfect post, and now it is no longer just a plan and you are in fact reading it, or at least remembering reading it. We could get a lot into that, like, what happens when you're not reading it or remembering it but it is still existing? But, whatever. It's getting away from me now (or what to you would be in the past, since this has already been written.) Like I said, let's not get into those questions. It's like where your lap goes when you stand up.

   Oh, and speaking of dumb childhood questions. The best way to eat a hot dog, what this post was about? With relish. You eat it with relish.

   Ha ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment