Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Humans, As Promised...

   ...I really agree with should stop, too. For now. Really, the only reason I brought it up in the first place is because I already had a post scheduled about being inspired by the sandy weather, which happened to be Exuviae's subject of the day. I had to post my own post soon, and I would have posted it the day it happened to me, but the post before that day deserved immediate follow-up. 

   So anyway.

   Apparently Adobe Illustrator CS5 (and maybe some earlier versions, too, who knows) has this thing called Live Trace, which allows you to convert bitmap images to vector images. I had great fun with this today, using them to sharpen up some movie poster ideas I had. I kind of intended them both to be rom coms, but I was new to the technology on the first one, making it look more stylized like some kind of a '50s-style heist flick, and the second one came out looking way too serious (apparently neither Michael Cera nor Emma Watson take funny photos, and the subject matter doesn't really scream "chick flick.")

  Here they are.

   Veni Vidi Vici: Why no one has yet made a romantic comedy by this name is beyond me. Its name is perfectly suited for a chick-flick type logo, what with the three short words just begging to be stacked. I deliberately swapped the names on the poster, with Amy Adam's name above Gerard Butler's figure and vice versa (hey more Latin), as an appeal to trope. The posing of Gerry's figure is far too serious for some kind of romantic comedy poster, however, and I didn't really make his hair in its signature stick-uppy style, so it looks slicked back Sinatra-like. And the way they're looking at each other suggests not romance, but something more mischievous, like they're casing the joint or something. I couldn't make the film's tagline "When in Rome" as that's already the name of a rom com, so I switched it to "Do as the Romans Do," which also makes it sound like a heist film. So, why not. It's a heist film. A romantic comedy heist film. Which is better than my original idea of not having a single clue as to what the actual plot would be.

 


   In Passing: This one was originally going to be posed with them holding each other's hands, only with Emma's character being see-through because she is a ghost (the male of the relationship being the ghost is apparently already like a Patrick Swayze film.) But it was running too late to have the figures for the bodies be separate models from the heads for posing purposes, so I had to use what I had. I tried to make the film's tagline some sort of cross between "go back to the beginning" and "death is only the beginning." And I got slightly more creative with the logo on this one as well, the only reason my having of the first idea of course being because I could make the logo so cliché. This film looks like some kind of serious romantic thing that is almost as intelligent as it seems to think it is.



   But, anyway, I notice how Exuviae doesn't really refute my claim that he has more talent than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment