Sunday, July 29, 2012

And That's It

   Alright, sorry for the diversions. I really still couldn't get the scanner to work. Now I've got it, we're ready to continue. Back to the topics I was discussing; hopefully this will tie it all up, pull all these different strands together.

   Scott McCloud, the inventor of 24 hour comics, also authored Understanding Comics, one of if not the most premier guides to understanding the medium. In it he proposed a six-tiered creativity module, from the core idea of a work of art to its surface. I already knew that, but just now realized that fit together with this, so this should make it come full circle, tying the form-vs.-content thing to the 24 hour comic all via Scott over there.

   Between the surface and the structure lies the craft. (Between the ship and the land, the force. Between the thought and the action, the shadow.) He defines structure as "putting it all together... what to include, what to leave out... how to arrange, how to compose the work." Sounds eerily similar to my discussion of substance, so, so far so good. Surface, he defines as "production values, finishing... the aspects most apparent on first superficial exposure to the work." In other words, style. In between them, he has craft: "constructing the work, applying skills, practical knowledge, invention, problem solving, getting the 'job' done." See, this was the brilliant theory that blasts right the heck through mine that I said someone out there had. Had I known that I already knew it...

   And now, in not at all a non sequitur because the surface of my drawing is good but the structure sucks, is another snippet from my 24 hour comic:



   Urrgghh... I seriously need to learn consistency with my character models. They're just zigzagging all over. I mean look at that that is not even funny. Is his head... what? That's why I need more practice. See? I talked about needing practice Sat- Friday, totally not at 1:41 in the morning Saturday but 6:30 Friday afternoon, so, it ties together.


No comments:

Post a Comment