Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Writing Process: Notes and Sketches, Part I

   I'm just doing more PoM, or at least focusing more on it. Or trying to. Better now, as I'm no longer so afraid of being forgotten. Getting things actually done helps. Delving into the rewrite, getting past the opening scene for the first time in a while. The part after the opening scenes is much better constructed. I've got a lot of ideas and events to flesh out some stuff that's hard to explain without giving too much away. Let's call it character stuff. Rem looks into his past and finds nothing that he doesn't already remember, and it impacts him a lot. Basically. Not much else to tell you, as the plot points from here on in get more spoiler-y.

   With a complex preplotted story like this, a major part of the writing process is keeping everything organized. This requires extensive... notetaking. I've taken a lot of notes to organize my thoughts. Notes and sketches on events I want to add, details in settings, symbolism, characterization. Et cetera. Since that's what I'm doing mostly these days, I think that's what I'll show you today. Some of my notes.

Some of my notes.

   Since they're notes, they're basically made of spoilers, all the written stuff, so I'll only closeup on the sketches, especially the ones I'm actually kind of proud of doing. This one is a closeup to avoid places where plot points are written, just a particularly blank spot of notes with not much writing but with some particularly nice sketching on it. It's stuff on how death works in this universe, not really the science of it but capturing how I'm trying to make it feel.




   I'll post up some more note sketches tomorrow. If I feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment