Sunday, July 15, 2012

Film Review: The Amazing Spider-Man

   Genetic engineering is the new nuke. There is a fine line between heroism and vigilantism. Reboots rock. Pretty much everything except the end of the world. Yesiree, Amazing Spider-Man could only have been made in 2012. Sony, under contractual obligation to make another Spidey flick, made the most topical one possible. I noticed this, but I don't think I'm in a qualified position to elaborate on that, so I'll stop now.

...

   Even though as I search it, it looks like not very many people did notice it, so maybe I shall elaborate on this? I suppose I shall.

   Genetic engineering as the new nuclear power: In the original comic books, Peter Parker was bitten by a spider that was radioactive. In this film as with Raimi's, the spiders are genetically engineered. Curt Conners studies transgenesis with lizards in hopes of regaining his stump. This doesn't turn out well. While this faithfully sticks to the Lizard's origins in the comic books, not changing it from radiation or anything, we must remember that the Lizard was specifically chosen as a villain for this movie. It is not nuclear power we are afraid of, not any more. It is this strange new world of genetics.

   Heroism versus vigilantism: Spider-man is hounded by the police for his actions, and is seen as a vigilante. Of course he is. This is a common trope lately, one which is explored much more in depth in the recent Batman films. Spider-man was always this to some extent, so, see next point. I don't even need to talk about it here.

   Reboots: This is another origin story of Spider-Man. We recognize some of the tropes from the previous incarnation, so, thankfully that origin-y-ness gets over quick enough. Still, another film series reboot. Many have said that this reboot is even one of the dark and gritty variety, but, I don't think so. Though my sense of what's "dark" or not is kind of broken. But this one has spider-quips, for crying out loud, so maybe it's not as dark as the brooding Tobey Maguire version. ("Mopey Maguire?" No? That's a- I am pretty sure that's a thing.) Though the suit is this time. Darker, I mean.

   The end of the world: Just, seems to be a common theme lately, within the past few years. I mean, very common. I don't even want to get into it. Mostly in smaller films, focusing on the intimate personal reactions when you know the world's going to end. Perfect Sense, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, Melancholia, the upcoming The End of the World, which features James Franco as James Franco so Spider-Man points for that, 4:44 Last Day on Earth, um, I guess Children of Men would count, though that one was in 2006 and was merely apocalyptic instead of the-end-of-the-world, but it's still a good example. I suppose in this, there's Dr. Conners wanting to transform the world into superior lizard people, which kind of echoes the enemy who assimilates us, like in zombie apocalypse scenarios, so there's that. I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment