Sunday, January 27, 2013

Other//half

   I've told you a lot about what I'm doing with Other//half, but I haven't even told you what Other//half is. Well, uh... It's gonna blow your mind. That's all I've got to say for now.

   Okay, maybe I could stand to clarify a bit of what I've already told you. I've thought a lot of it out already, so there is a lot that could be told, but there's still more to think about so a lot that can't be told because, although it's been developed, it's got a lot of room for more development. But I suppose I can lay out the world.

   Picture this: science has proven the concept of a soul of sorts. Quantum energy bundles linked to consciousness. I've told you this much already, so, at least you're this far. Okay, now, the "soul" can leave its host body, providing it instantly be transferred into the body of another host. Imagine the ramifications of that. Body swapping, gender swapping, species swapping. Got it? Race and sex and even species don't mean much as identifiers anymore. We've got a rich wide world here, complex and unimaginable. Alright?

   Other//half proper takes place after that, where further soul-swapping technology is pioneered. Souls can now be remixed, split and combined, following the same rules previously: no two whole souls occupying the same body at the same time, no souls existing as only half. There would be two people, both sharing an identical soul combined of half and half each of both of their previous souls. Now imagine the ramifications of that. The religious and theological implications of this are explored-- are any previous sins committed by only one of the /halves now staining both souls? It may not have been you, but you are both identities now, or neither: an amalgamation. But that was in your past, in the other//half of your existence.

   There's the title. Other//half as a name is very symbolic, of many things. The other person you were, the other person you are. The other people you both were and are.

   Yeah, it gets complicated. I'll deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment