Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Rawhide Vindaloo w/ Commentary, Page 21

   Believe it or not, the shot of LeCastor here saying that he doesn't fear death is his own hero shot. I mean, it's not bad, if you look at it. There's just that stray hair there, and you're just distracted by the horribleness of the panel following. I don't know what LeCastor means by that, as I guess it was one of those things I never got the opportunity to get around to. There's not many religious themes in this. Besides the cross around Rawhide's neck. He is I think a Spanish Catholic.

   There's a lot of twists and turns and reveals on the bottom half of the page: Rawhide shows up to save LeCastor, but the hangman is the sheriff, and he himself is held gunpoint by what transpires on page 23 to be the Texas Ranger. I guess the entire thing was a gambit by him all along to get Rawhide out of hiding, a la the Sheriff of Nottingham hanging Friar Tuck so that Prince John can get at Robin Hood in Robin Hood. Like, well, it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment