Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Redbox w/ Commentary, Page 3



   Now would be a good time to point out the stylistic decisions I made in telling this story. A lot of this commentary is going to be me just pointing out a lot of the symbolism as if it were deliberate on my part rather than a happy accident, but these choices I'm going to point out here were deliberate. The lack of panel borders, for instance. It fits very well the mood of the original dream and the theme of the comic, reflecting this endless timelessness, of time flowing out into infinite space. The first panel has a border here, which, happy accident like I just said, is about looking at a watch, where the time is contained instead of limitless.

   And the black and white. The only color in Redbox is cast directly by light sources, and in the first panel of this one you can see me playing that up. A lot of shadows, and maybe I should have done more elsewhere, to place a greater emphasis on the black and white, which in turn places more emphasis on the color. But, now I've told you to notice it, so notice it.

The ice cream bars and cold french fries were very much a part of my dream. Everything here is accurate to that, right down to the not-quite-Golden-Arches on the thing of fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment