Sunday, July 27, 2014

Redbox w/ Commentary, Cover Page


   The cover page for Redbox here was originally drawn to be a page within, where the main character (basically, me, in the dream,) travels to Africa. I realized that I didn't know how to draw a Jeep from a slightly high angle (or, really, anything but from the side and back,) so I scrapped it and drew the panel you see in the comic, which depicts the Jeep from precisely those angles. There's actually quite a few efforts I went through before that panel, figuring out how to go at it. Vehicles are hard to draw, man. Also, mud huts, and roads.

   The perspective changes somewhere in there, so I had to fudge a lot of stuff. When it came time to make a cover (not a strict necessity for a 24 hour comic, but a tradition nonetheless,) I rediscovered this, fudged a bit more to the best of my ability, and designed a spiffy title logo for Redbox. Boom, now it's a cover.

 All in all, the cover page here fits the Redbox mood well. "Take Me Home, Country Roads" plays in my head just thinking about it. Except maybe as sung by Japanese schoolchildren, like in that one Studio Ghibli film. Just the entire mood of that sequence, there, on this cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment