Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Ah My Masterpieces

Well, I didn't win Masterpiece tonight, but far and away got the most art to take home- a whopping eight pieces, which, let's see, that doesn't quite double me, from my ten pieces I already have from prior games (though I can only find nine; there's a tiger from Lauren that seems to be missing... somewhere in my pile I'm collecting, as part of "packing up.") Lauren did show up tonight, but not soon enough to put any of her own pieces in this time-- she could join, but only as part of a team with someone who'd already been playing, halfway through.

The way we play Masterpiece at art night is, I've told you before but I feel it bears repeating, super fun. We don't play with the art piece replicas that come in the box, but we make our own art, on cards sized to be compatible with the game components. You finish the game with an art piece, or otherwise sell it to the bank before then, you get to take it home. 

The highest intrinsic value in-game that a piece can be worth is $1,000,000, so going game mechanics-only it doesn't make any sense to overbid that, but, the way we play with the added layer of getting to take the art with you, pieces can sometimes sell for far more than a million, particularly if the artwork itself is impressive. I told you I didn't win, but doing the math in my head, I actually possibly would have won had I not bid over $1,000,000 on the final piece of the night, which was a guaranteed take-home of course. (Everybody starts out with a piece, and my starting art was the one and only $1,000,000 painting; I could sell it to the bank early and sit rich throughout the whole game. Fortuitous.) 

Actually thinking about it, I would have come in third, which is what I came in anyway, so, yeah, well worth it. No, wait, fourth, I would have come in fourth, since the art piece itself was still worth in-game currency, so I made some of my bid back thus overshooting the guy in fourth place. Haha. (He did come in second place in terms of how much art he got to take home, though- both of the pieces I did, both of the pieces Carla did, and a couple others.) No, wait, still third, since I would have had that million fifty still in my collection... Yeah, third.


All my masterpiece wins, minus the tiger which you can find on IG anyway, here. The top row is the stuff from tonight. The Yay one is embroidered, into the paper. That's the one I spent so much on. Because it's awesome. The one below it is the $1,000,000 piece I started out with. The mermaid one turned out to be a forgery; I auctioned it to the guy on my left (the fourth place guy I mentioned,) who auctioned it to the couple on my right, who traded it back with me after the game, for a piece I'd had, rendered in acrylic, depicting a breast pocket with plants growing out of.
So that's, like, the final Art Night. Huh. Last one of the semester, and this is my last semester, soo... Before heading out I did get a chance to tell Lauren I'm making it to BLFC this year, and she's going with a friend, so I've got their permission to hit them up when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment