Saturday, April 7, 2018

"...!"

So I could write about how amazing A Quiet Place is, and how it perfectly utilizes basically every cinematic tool ever pioneered. Except for shot/reverse shot, because a film where almost all of the dialogue is in sign language really doesn't have much room for over-the-shoulder camera angles. I think there are some; I just wasn't paying much attention to that aspect. The sound design is amazing though; the audio mixing of a character listening to headphones is the most effective I've ever seen, probably even better than Age of Ultron.

I could also write about living with mental illness, and what dysfunction even means in a societal construct, and how it's sometimes easier to just change yourself to fit society rather than the other way around, that isn't always the case nor should it be, and also how it can be a good thing society as a whole doesn't care because that means nobody's sitting there judging you/preventing you from fitting into it in unorthodox ways?

But what I think I'll write about is... really, A Quiet Place, is that Arial you're using for the subtitles? It's kind of difficult telling it from Helvetica sometimes, but... I'm, I'm pretty sure that IS Arial. I mean, it just, smelled like Arial, from the very first intertitle. Well, it's a functional one, I suppose.

Oh, and like, A Quiet Place is also really effective on a metafictional level, because part of the experience is to be as quiet as possible yourself while watching it, to pay attention to sound cues better, and that creates actual empathy (and not just sympathy) for the characters.

Would you believe I haven't seen Ready Player One yet though? And there are like three different movies I need to see coming out next week (Isle of Dogs is going nationwide!) And, with the end of school fast approaching and me having time for basically only one plasma donation left, I'm not even entirely sure I could afford the ticket for the movie today.

Still so worth it though. And I did get my homework done today, so there's that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment