Monday, December 17, 2018

Avatar! (The James Cameron One): The Theme Park: A Video Essay: An Analysis

This came out a week ago. It's a long video, about 56 minutes I think, but this is good stuff. The kind of stuff (not the exact kind of stuff, but the quality level) that I want to produce. So let's dissect it a bit, shall we? 

The video quality is only pretty alright, not terrible or anything but pretty baddish (she's not that washed out in the video itself as in the thumbnail, but she is just as vaguely not-quite-in-focus) but the audio quality is great. People are willing to forgive middling video quality; it's all about the audio quality. (How was the audio quality in my latest video btw? I ran a noise reduction to remove the background hiss, and I think it turned out well.) There's very little music, none non-diegetic except over the credits. (I experiment with music in, music out. I don't know. I could see arguments going either way, in my own videos.)



The editing here is awesome, on a macro and micro scale- she's not afraid of jump cuts, and she places them well. The flow from ideas to idea is coherent and well-segued. The ideas themselves are well-researched, but the content only relies partially on academics. A lot of the information comes from personal enthusiasm on the subject matter; most of the runtime deals with personal experience.

Presentation-wise. She's both humorous and informative. 

I try to inject humor into my videos. And also like, information. Both of these things I excel at in real life, but neither of which I can quite translate to any of my videos with any consistency. Make that, any success at all. Need to curate that better, but not sure where to begin. A lot of my humor comes out in interactions with others, what makes others laugh, and also other people giving me a springboard to bounce lunacy off of. The things of my own which I find side-splitting may not translate to others even realizing the inherent humor. And I know the things I know, so of course I'm not sure what information would even be valuable to share with others, or what things people just sort of already know.

Though of course that's an effective content model, listicles of things the audience already knows. So that they can say, "ha I knew that," watch the video or read the article to see if their own knowledge of the situation gets brought up, if their own opinion is shared. (Do people already know that that's why they read listicles? See man this is hard. I don't know if what I know is like common knowledge or what, which is why I usually do vlog things. Because I like vlogs the best, on the channels of hosts I care about; and also because of course such-and-such a personal detail of this last month is going to be unknown to the audience. It's low-hanging fruit.)

Also, she's got loads of Patreon patrons. Loads and loads and loads. Just, like, loads. But less than 400k subscribers. There must also be a content model, some effective business plan on how to maximize social networking content, but that would require further digging. It's something I've been meaning to look into, how different channels effectively use social media platforms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment