Thursday, December 22, 2022

Christmas Radio pt 1

I didn't have the chance to post Wednesday or Tuesday of this week (yesterday and, ereyester wasn't that the word) because I was too busy playing games, basically going over midnight. Let's say that I make up for those posts later, one of them on talking about the games themselves perhaps; and one of them about my brother's post here which I just read, and was posting a comment to, before realizing it didn't really address the main body of the question (I probably would have seen and read it earlier.) I'd been going to post at lunch today, which would have given me time for a post and games, but didn't (too busy teaching, though not playing, a game at lunch break (Terraforming Mars.)) I will still write on the subject I'd been going to, but with a few more hours' experience with the subject this time.

Christmas radio! I listened to it all day at work today! Finally being put in the holiday spirit. But if just a few more hours' listening time really refined my thoughts as much as they did, I'm kind of half debating listening to even another day of Christmas radio at work tomorrow, to have honed my experience even further! I think I'll do that actually. I'll just say this instead, the history that led up to my listening to the radio at work.

Listening to podcasts and audiobooks, of course. On my old phone, which doesn't have that much memory so I have to break things into chunks. Finished The Lost Metal for the second time and am now conversant enough in it; listened meanwhile to a podcast on the Disney+ series Andor, and a couple of miscellaneous episodes of other podcasts (generally it goes, listen to audiobook in the morning, and podcast stuff after lunch. Riveting information, maybe not, but it explains how I break down listening to multiple things. Downloaded the DecodingTV episodes on my dad's computer (my own computer having crashed of course) and transferred them over via USB cable, and the other episodes I just downloaded straight to the downloads folder on the phone.)

I'm on Wizard and Glass in my Dark Tower reading in my audio book journey, but Just King Things won't come out with their The Waste Lands episode until next month so I'm holding out on starting that. There is a nonfiction I want to get to, not from Audible, but I figured I could download and get on that the week after Christmas, and as for books from Audible man I don't know, I've got one credit to spend on whatever but I don't know what that should be. I can also get to that later. For now... Christmas radio is still on!

You can use your headphone cable as an antenna, which requires non-wireless earbuds, but which allows you to turn a cell phone with the appropriate radio bits built in as a radio. For some reason doing this restarts my phone every hour or so and I have to turn the radio back on manually from there, but it doesn't take the length of a song to do so so I didn't miss a single Christmas song on Sunny 106.9 FM all day from 7:00 in the morning to 4:15 in the evening. Except for the hour between 12:30 and 1:30 where I was at lunch break of course. It's almost ten hours of exposure to Christmas radio, but it still is less than ten hours, so I think doing the same listening tomorrow will double my sample size...

No comments:

Post a Comment